Saturday, June 03, 2006

Hey hey hey my friend! Thanks for visiting this blog. This is a kinda destress blog that I'm keeping while I'm embarking/embark/embarked on my 3 month long expedition from Thailand to China.

At this very moment, I've made known to my bosses that I'm leaving the security of my job as an Outward Bound instructor to go on a true adventure. All my life, I've been this couch adventurer (ala couch potato... instead of the telly, its expeditions.) and some kind of wannabe.

Was in this student mountaineering outfit in university, only to be out of the main expedition since I have a rather weak knee condition (since fixed by working at OBS - so much exercise that my legs are strengthened and another operation after I had a terrible fall off the bike in 2005). Tried out for my university's centennial climb to everest only to be rejected since my fitness was not quite up to scratch. Tried out again for this women's everest attempt only to be rejected probably since I'm not one to get along with the project directors.

Tired of trying out such options, I went on to join OBS as a form of justification to myself that I am an adventurer of some sort. Instead, it turned into something quite different. You know that statement how those who can't, teach? Yes, it became something like that. I was a couch adventurer, sharing stories of my friends' adventures with my students, trying to inspire more out of each one of them with what I had done (albeit the fact it wasn't much) and actually pretending that I was really an adventurer.

Again... Tired out of doing so, I decided to pack up my bags to leave my safety net and go on a true adventure. Of course, there are other reasons why I decided to leave my job... Lesser than noble reasons, nonetheless.

I'd like to thank Jason from Expedition 360 for generously taking me on. I've not much experience and neither did he try ask me too much into my motivations/objectives/experience. Which is quite different from what I have actually experienced so far, since all those expeditions from junior college (senior high in American terms) to where I am today.

My best friend of 6 years is immensely worried and claimed he would go to the temple to make offerings for my safe return.

My other best friend (of 12 years) decided that there's not much point in getting worried since I've always been like this and only asked that I keep myself safe.

My parents barely know a thing, since I'm not especially strong in my communications with them. I don't really know how to talk to them about what I am about or what my real aspirations are. Even as a child, I had to cover up my aspiration to become an artist, by telling everyone that I wanted to become a policewoman. Eventually I was so convinced by myself, that I went on to join the National Police Cadet Corps as my co-curricular activity in high school. You see, I was an advertising executive. So in ad terms, its like I've run too many successful campaigns for myself such that eventually I just buy into it and imagine it to be the real deal. I'd explain more in the future somewhere here.

Life has a strange way of unfolding. Just as I decided to leave my job, I actually saw opportunities for myself. And I am enjoying this. So its probably the right thing that I'm doing now that I'm seeing positive results.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home