Sunday, July 30, 2006

We're at Udom Xai today. Internet is expensive, but I decided that I should just blog about what happened in the last 2 days.

Today's a fairly rough ride. Yours truly gave up after walking 30kms... I biked at least the first 10kms tho! HAHAAHAH... But it was too much for me today. It rained the whole morning, we set off only at 11am when we couldn't wait very much longer.

I put myself onto a bus, since my objective for the trip is to see the world at a slower pace (not to accomplish it by human power). Minutes after, it poured! CATS, DOGS, PUPPIES AND KITTENS (that's what my cousin always says)

The locals were great, they put my bike up onto the top of their minivan! Amazing feat, I'd say. It would have been a good bus ride, but there was something that happened. The bus driver's boy happened to have Down's Syndrome. And the rest of the passengers were wrongly encouraging that boy with their laughter over the lewd actions he was doing. It made me realise that they might not actually have special schools here to help special children. And even if there are special schools, there's just no money to finance it. The boy went on to pretend smoke a cigarette butt he found on the bus and the locals continued to look entertained. It wasn't a good moment for me.

Found myself at Udom Xai soon enough, tired out sufficiently to just quickly book into the first hostel I found. It was actually the second. Well, it was just familiar grounds - A CHINESE RUN GUESTHOUSE! I tell you, being overseas chinese and able to speak the language is great! (PY, time to pick it up proper!) It got me a free dinner! How about that? HAHAHAH... Anyways, its the whole "Wo men dou shi zhong guo ren" thing at work (We are all Chinese). And somehows (even if it sounds wrong), I am glad my mother made me do all that Chinese in school! It worked out!

I'm trying hard to tutor Jason with Chinese, at least an hour a day over dinner, so that he can survive China, if I exit at Kunming. The expedition is good, but I don't want to hold him up longer than I should.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home