Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Muang Phu Khun - The dumping of my toiletries begin

Lucked out totally today. Didn't make it to Luang Prabang at all. For most of the 46km journey, I was pushing the bicycle. The mountains made it impossible for me to bike at all. Jason did a lot better tho, which is good for him.

I made an estimation that I've biked around 800km as of today! Its good to know that I've actually succeeded so much so far, despite the crazy urge to just put the bicycle onto the back of some bypassing truck. My mind had been through an entire war and I'm glad to know that at least I've given up the thoughts of packing up to go home early.

My backside is kind of sore right now and I can feel a bit of abrasion on my arse as well. As we biked from Kasi to Phou Khun, we ran low on water. Since Jason was a good distance ahead of me, I took water from the waterfall and dripped iodine to clean up the grubby water. Yes, I actually did so. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Especially since there was no little shops to buy anything from at all! We didn't even eat lunch. I had 2 Clif bars, with compliments from Jason and Clif Bars. I ate 1 initially since it was getting beyond lunch time and there was no hope of finding any food along the road. Towards 3pm, I was getting crazy hungry. I grabbed that extra bar of Clif Bar from my handle-bar bag... And there was this shimmering kind of look on that Clif Bar. And when I finally ate it, it felt oh-so-good! The sad news tho was that I am unfortunately running low on power-bars like these and looking at the rate that I'm eating and drinking at... Its not good news for me on expedition. Jason's like a camel of sorts – doesn't have to eat a lot, doesn't have to drink a lot. He's probably a camel in his last life! Hahaha...

The bad news out of things is that I'd have to start casting stuff away to lighten the bicycle. I'd be starting with the toiletries. Probably have to wash myself with more soap and chuck that bottle of powder :( Sadness. The nice roll of toilet paper would probably have to go soon. The anti-dandruff shampoo I brought from home especially will have to join the club. I might smell really bad soon if its going down that way. But to survive the rest of the trip without my backside tearing, there's just no 2 way around it.

Also, over dinner today, Jason and I had a discussion about how behind time the expedition is – 2 weeks at least. If we were cranking 100km a day, its all fine and dandy. But because that I'm a lot weaker on a bicycle than I realised, I would have to throw behind the bravado thoughts and put myself onto a truck soon just so the expedition gets to move on. Sometimes, it does take more to just give in.

So we are in this small town called Muang Phou Khun tonight. No internet or even mobile access. Its approximately 1500m above sea level, based on Google Earth and the calibration on my Suunto Vector. Going to be a chilly night. Even the locals have whipped out their fleece jackets. I took out my fleece pants and socks, just in case. Sleepy sleepy... Been so tired. Gonna hit the sacks now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home