Sunday, July 23, 2006

Vang Vieng

Been taking it easy today. Sleeping, shooting photos, went tubing and tried to go visit the caves. The most exciting thing that happened was this weird Laotian man's proposition.

So there I was on my own to try visit the caves in Vang Vieng, pushing bicycle with sunnies on and sweating it out (since it was so hot), and this Lao man came up from behind with a bicycle as well. He seemed friendly initially, wanting to practise his English. Then it became w-e-i-r-d. In a span of less than 5 minutes, he tried to get my mobile number, give me his mobile number and invite me to his home. Yes, yes... I might actually seem cynical at this point, but here's the deal... I met this guy in less than 5 minutes and he's getting a little too friendly for comfort. I gave up trying to reach the caves, citing that the roads was too muddy (which it was) and I don't want to go anymore. Then he tried to get the name of the hostel that I am putting up as well. I pretended that I can't remember the name and snuck out of the situation.

Eeeks.

I mean most of the Laotians we have met so far are pretty friendly people. But this OVER-friendly guy was just a bit over the edge for me. And as a lone female traveler this afternoon, it just didn't seem that safe to hang out that wee-bit longer.

So anyway, we are on the road again tomorrow to a little trucker town called Kasi. Its not supposed to be a long ride, but looking at how the terrain is from Vientiane, I think I'd prefer to err on the safe side and just take it easy. I could be wrong of course, but well... Better safe than sorry.

Don't think I'd be getting much Internet till we arrive at Luang Prabang. So it would be in 3 days before you hear from me again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home