Wednesday, August 02, 2006

1st August 2006 - Na Maw and its "rustic" touches

We're located at Na Maw, a big village some 50km out of Udom Xai today. The ride here wasn't too bad, minus the rain and its a good ride. Only 1 upslope to peddle while lots of downhills. I was praying very hard that after the massive downslopes that I won't have to push the bicycle upwards. Can die from doing so...

Whilst I was charging thru the rain at 15km/h downslope, the chilly winds from the storm and mountains were howling. I put on my rainjacket and it was still quite cold! And imagine my shock after I took a turn, where I saw 4 children (probably around 9-12 years old) carrying sacks of bamboo shoots on their foreheads thru the rain. They were still far from the village and they were just wearing normal cotton shirts, passing the rain. It was depressing, seeing such sights.

I wondered to myself, if this country truly needed aid or would the aid feed the corrupt and never filter down to the commoners. There's talk about how the Laotians “are lazy and too slow to save their lives”, but as far as I see it, they are mainly good and honest folks who don't have a way out of things. While aid is probably needed to get sanitary systems up in this country, they are doing well for everything else. They are growing crops, having enough to eat and wear at least.

I found the fear of being robbed by a Laotian bandit, while Jason is miles away, unfound so far. The kids are exceptionally friendly (to the point where I can get irritated by them even.), always shouting “FALANG!” (foreigners) and “Sabaidy!” (hello). I think this place deserves a hand for what they are trying to get out of. Yups.

So, the room here in Na Maw is very basic. Kind of like rustic wood. Jason hopes there won't be a fire tonight, cos we'd probably go up in flames easily. Yikes! I actually prefered to take out my tent for the night already, since the bed looks quite grotty. I could be wrong that its bed-bugs free... But never really know.

The expectation is that we'd make the border crossing into China by tomorrow afternoon.

Next to that, I'm looking forward to getting to China. Besides the fact that I can actually understand what the heck I'm eating, drinking, sleeping at and talking to people (sans accents); its the land of XIAO-LONG-PAOS, LA-MIAN... and by God, its probably the best thing that can happen! Whilst I'd still cross my fingers about not being conned by the local Chinese. Some of the remarks from frequent travelers to China can be rather harsh. Needless to say, its a different situation when you meet Chinese nationals overseas. Stay tuned to more stories of such a category.

I guess studying Chinese paid off at this point, since its been great talking to the Chinese in Laos. It helped ease off a portion of that homesickness for Singlish, Mr Brown shows and the likes. Haha. PY and Chris, need a Chinese tutor? * wink wink * I think most Chinese nationals imagine that Singaporeans can't speak a word of Chinese to save their lives and got mostly compliments for my Mandarin. Finally, I can tell Ma that it was the right call to make me study in 2 kindergartens – one for my English and another for my Chinese. Zhou lao-shi (Miss Zhou) was soooooo wrong to kick me out of my higher Chinese class. Wahahah... So what if I can't write Chinese to save my essays and poor grades? Wo hui jiang hua yu ok! (I know how to speak Chinese!) Better than those people who aced their Os and As and can't even say a word after! (PY and Chris, not you girls...)

Jason's Mandarin is improving despite the fact that his pronunciation is still very anglocized. But its better than him not speaking most of it. So fingers crossed that by next week, he can speak enough to order food at least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home