Saturday, August 05, 2006

4 August - Mengyuan

Today's the day that Melissa the idiot left her mobile behind at the last hostel. Wadda fish! I slowed down the expedition unwittingly and now we'd have to peddle a lot of a longer distance into Jinghong. We might not be doing the tea-pressing place at all now as well, since Jason is extremely short of time. I'm such a klutz. :(

The ride into Mengyuan (every village in Xishuangbanna is literally named Meng – Fierce, something. Unbelievable) wasn't too poor. Just 2 minor mountains to climb. Yes, I pushed most of my way up... But at least I didn't “put on the wussy cap and take a bus” (quote Dee Dee)

Friskandar from work messaged today about him taking a sailing book from my pigeon hole from work. Sigh... Frisky, if you are reading this blog as well, I miss you too :(

There's been a good deal of time that I really wanted to cry along the road – when I push my bike up a very difficult slope, when my leg gets all cramped up, when I start thinking of friends and colleagues at work... I guess the traveling has taken a toll on me. Life is just no fun without people like Candy, Kenny, DeeDee, BW, Flo, Xiao-yan-zi, Connel, Terence, Ber, Mario, Bro Chaw, Frisky and so many more. I really miss them, so much that I can cry. But no, haven't shed a tear since I got into the accident.

Looking at the route map for the expedition, we are at least a week away from Kunming still. Its approximately 680km away from where we are located... I can almost hear strains of Corrinne May's Journey “cos its a long long journey, till I find my way home... to you. Oh, to you.”

Poor Jason has come down with a fever. We haven't figured out what could be the cause yet. Hopefully it will go away after a night's rest and lots of water. We haven't been pushing distance in these couple of days either.

We just ran a malarial test on his blood to see if it could be malaria. As it is, there is a likelihood that he is afflicted with plasmodium facipadum (or something along that likes). We have started him off on a course of artemisinin, which I bought from a Chinese medicine hall in Vientiane. Hopefully it will work for him, if it is indeed malaria. But I'm hoping that its nothing more than just a fever from the rains that we are in and out of so far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home