Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I was watching Cars for the 3rd time running in my little hostel room in this town called Pak Chong about 200km away from Bangkok. Watching Cars makes me think of things.

I had a phone call last night from PSA that I've been selected to be one of their Operations Executive. Which means that I would have to return by 29th September 2006... As I was watching Cars, I was thinking thru my head about what I've seen and learnt from Jason this far.

The hour, before I actually crashed my bike, was the most beautiful hour ever. The sun wasn't hot at all. There was so many little hills to see. There was an amazing white Buddha statue in the middle of a hill (probably 200m) above ground. I had so much fun spinning that I actually smiled and wanted to go on this for a long long time. I didn't mind how much difficulty I had to climb those hills anymore. I didn't care if I had to pedal thru this stuff for anymore hours. I just wanted to see it.

And that's precisely why I decided to join the expedition. Buses just rush past towns, you can't stop wherever you want to. Cars, you've got to park it somewhere before you can get into things. Bicycles, you can be a pedestrian or a vehicle anytime. Walking is a bit too long and kills your legs.

I've learnt a lot from conversations with Jason. He's got the same 2 eyes, 1 nose, mouth and 2 ears like all of us. What's so different is just the whole perspective in mind. His determination and belief in things are incredible. I had no idea what Steve wrote in the book, Pedalling to Hawaii, about Jason was actually this true. He mentioned about the loyalty that Jason has to his friends, holding true to his words and promises and never letting people down. Its REAL. The amount of care that Jason's shown to this 7-day long friend is equivalent to even what some of my friends of a longer time offers.

He's a gracious person who is a good team leader and player as well. When Steve left Expediton 360, Jason continued on his own – finding new reasons why he is in this and stands for it. He doesn't eat meat as much as possible because he doesn't see the point in killing animals, due to the environmental harm that farming animals cause and how he loves animals.

I started thinking about whether I would be happier staying on this expedition a bit longer than I should. I might not stop at Kunming, I might actually want to stick till we reach Mumbai. Even though I'd have to fly home for a week to get the bike repaired from Kunming and re-activate my travel insurance.

This is what life's about. Seeing things you never expected to see. Loving things you never expected to as well. I wish I could have some of you here with me and go through what I am, because I think you guys would actually love to go thru it.

I can't really check the Internet now, because I'm too shy to get out there with my ugly crashed mug onto the streets. So please don't send me any emails for now. If you'd like, dropping me a sms would be great.

I had some messages from Terence and Linda from MIR after Ernest told them about my crash. I am glad to receive their messages, because I love these people and they love me too. I miss some people from home pretty much badly and I wish you guys can be here to just experience what I've seen just over 2 days on the road.

Candy: I sure hope you can fly in here next week... But we'd be in Laos by then. If you can, drop me an sms about flying into Laos. Missing you and the JB4 (with honorary members like CKD and CCY) very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home