Friday, July 07, 2006

The couch adventure to Pirates didn't quite work out today, but we were off doing something really meaningful.

Jason and the crew from Aberdeen - Robert and Jan (along with me) went off to Khlong Toey, this area made really famous by a priest... Father Joe for all the work he's done for HIV patients, slum children and people doing drugs. Well, Aberdeen had been very generous to donate THB300,000 (SGD12,459.37)to a very good cause - Human Development Foundation that operates a kindergarten out of a slum area, takes care of HIV infected children and adults alike. I've read his book and man, I think it has attracted a good amount of positive publicity for the Foundation. Its clean, its well run and pretty accountable for the work done. The children looked happy in school, the teachers were very enthusiastic. The government actually funds a portion of its operation as well, much as the dimensions of the school isn't approved by them ie illegal.

Robert from Aberdeen was a star with children. The most astonishing part was... he's actually Deputy CEO of their Thailand branch. He's just so down to earth, not so much of a pompous guy who thinks the world about himself. And as a new father, he's great with kids. I should have taken more photos of him in action.

So this whole charity thing that comes with Expedition 360's really taken off. Unlike the other typical expeditions which tries but doesn't manage to pull it all off successfully with even their own fund raising, Jason's been doing great!

After the morning visit, I was off pedalling thru Bangkok alone cos Jason had some stuff to attend to and I needed to rush back to the hostel to make payment for my room. The good news is, I didn't get lost and cycling in Bangkok itself wasn't as bad as how Joe made out to be. I was imagining endless traffic that I had to squeeze myself thru. Well, I still had to put up with the traffic, but I managed to get back on my own - navigating the place and keeping safe. Its a great confidence booster, I'd say.

I was so confident that I even bought grub and crickets from a roadside stall today. So I ate the thing/s. Its nice with just a bit too much flavouring actually. I like the crickets and grub, but didn't like the other bugs in my little THB20 packet.

So, the plan tomorrow is to try catch Pirates again. Just before I leave on Sunday and feel all sad about it. And its off to Chatuchak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home