Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Usually I would celebrate the 12th of every month... Cos its pay day! But not today, cos of the accident.

Well, today's a lot better than yesterday. The swelling on my face has gone down a bit. The pus on my knees are drying. Everything besides my shoulder that probably rolled up a bit too much during the accident is pretty much ok.

I still don't dare to step out of my little hostel room, for fear of scaring people off. So the blogs are coming to you from Jason, who's made the effort to help me update stuff.

While the medical facilities here are rather basic and good enough to save lives, I realised how modern and even well-equipped Singapore hospitals are. The first aid that we give is already a notch higher than what they have to offer. We use all that snazzy Melolin, Bactigras, Tedagerm stuff to do bandaging, while they are still on regular gauze. Its all for the same purpose, but it made me think about how levels of healthcare around here can be improved. If only some rich schnick from some big pharmacetical company gave supplies and money like Warren Buffett did... I think a lot can be done to help these little hospitals to improve their healthcare standards.

I am looking forward to getting back onto the bicycle, because everything before the accident was great. I was starting to enjoy the sights and sounds, the cycling on the hills, the huge sense of freedom that riding always gives to me. The funny thing is that my bike's really a tank. Everytime somethings happen to me, it gets away with a lot lesser... The bike computer is down. One of the spokes busted. A tube ripped. One lens from my spectacles was shattered from it.

I guess I'm just glad I'm alive.

One of the funny things was that... I didn't get any of those near death kind of flashbacks. So I figured that I'd live. But I kept on crying. I actually felt how Candy must have felt after her nasty motorbicycle accident. When I thought about her and Kenny (from work) who dropped me a note after they got hold of my cards, I cried quietly at the hospital overwhelmed by the event that took place. Candy's a real strong girl, she got back onto her feet and became the greatest cheerleader that I know amongst everyone. She's the Cheer Bear (think Carebears) that we all need in our lives – optimistic, cheerful and bubbly.
There was a time when the kids at work were surprised that Candy is my bestest friend at work. “HAH? Candy and Melissa are like so different! Melissa is so strict and boring, but Candy is so bubbly and cute! How can they be bestest friends?” Haha. I guess being thru a lot matters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home