Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Udon Thani (cannot eat kind of Udon... sad)

Today marks another ground-breaking day where I broke one of those personal bests! I have rode for 127.79km! Wow! As usual, there are lots and lots of back-breaking hills. I was surprised that I rode without much complaints this long for today. The ride didn't take that long either, somewhere like 7 hours? We did start off very early, tho with ample breaks between.

I did suffer from headaches, as if my head is pressured by some internal force. I am still wearing my helmet and sticking to my guns about wearing it. I'm not sure what's the exact reason for my headache yet, but I figure its not going to kill me yet and I'd be observing how things go... If it disappears in a couple of days, at least I'm sure its not a horrible concussion from the crash.

Riding this long a distance, I had imagined some nice fancy snazzy hostel to be at Udon Thani. Well, we could have had it, if not for the fact that it didn't have a sitting toilet! Its boiled down to this fact that I need sitting toilets till my knees completely heals up. Its just horrible to try bend your knees as you try to pee-wee.

Udon Thani isn't exactly a very fantastic town. It looks incredibly 60s and yes, it smells kind of like 60s too. However, the town's economy is in very good shape. The shops carry virtually everything... Even Twinnings English Breakfast tea-bags that Jason can't do without. Now I know that the whole tea thing for English is not just a stereotype... ITS FOR REAL! Hahaha... The one thing we couldn't find tho was a dri-fit material long sleeve shirt for him. Well, there was one, but it was a Manchester United soccer jersey. He's sticking to his guns that he rather get malaria than to try wear that. English are funny people. Or maybe... its just him! HAHAHAHAH...

Anyways, I am looking forward to arriving at Vientiane and hopefully finding a decent hostel. Jason and I have been staying in rather grotty places to date – hostels that “lack character”, reeks of odd smells, small-ish, “spartan” and blah blah. (Those in brackets are Jason's comments) We've been tightening both of our purse strings. Jason knows that its something usual for him, while I'm just trying to conserve funds to last longer now that I want to ride till Lhasa and take that very exciting train ride to Beijing :) But yeah, we are looking forward to decent accommodation at Vientiane! It shouldn't be too costly around there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home