Thursday, July 06, 2006

Oh, my lucky stars!

In the long and short of things, I guess today's been my lucky day. After days (not even months!) of preparation (separated by all that partying prior to my leaving), finally I'm seated on a plane and off to Bangkok where the biking adventure begins.

I'm saying I'm lucky because everything just fell into place, nice people kept helping me out and made my expedition possible.

Firstly, I would like to thank the guys at SCH – Sebastian, Gerald, Winson and Jerome. They have not only generously given me discounts, but helped me at no extra charges to bring my 24kg overloaded duffel bag and bicycle into the Budget Terminal! Of course, not to forget the Chua Couple – Kevin and Serene who assisted by driving the SCH truck all the way into the terminal. Gosh. It could have been a lot worse! I couldn't find a taxi (as usual, the taxi theory about how it never comes when you need it most holds) and couldn't book one because of all the good and bad reasons (bag too heavy lah, bike too big lah, call too late lah... you know what I mean).

Secondly, friends who have generously helped me by encouraging me, despite their worries that something untoward can happen. I think none of this would have been possible without these extremely positive people. Promise to bring home great photos for them.

I'm extremely worn right about now and dying for some rest. But I figure I won't get any (cos the wicked normally don't), since I have to assemble the bike at the Bangkok International Airport and put it onto a cab most likely. Sigh sigh sigh. I hope I remember how to do so, otherwise... next stop – the local Thai bicycle shop.

Terence (my ex-manager at OB) figured that I should have learn some Thai. I agree, cos now I'd have to survive on the only Thai food I ever know how to order – Phat Thai. Never mind if its not quite Thai Express or if its some really sub-standard roadside stall. I figure I'd live to tell.

So here we go. The amazing 3 months (and I hope no shorter) journey to Kunming, China begins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home